Ancestry and Heirs
Not many people know the names of their family beyond their grandparents; do you know the names of your great grandparents, what they did or where they came from? Do you have family stories but are not sure if they are true? Perhaps you have started carrying out your own family research but have come to a sudden stop?
Ancestry and Heirs is a professional service, run by a qualified genealogist, Nikki Paine who specialises in Kent family research. Nikki is a member of the Register of Qualified Genealogists (RQG). The business is also registered with the Information Commissioners Office to comply with the Data Protection Act.
Everybody has different questions and stems of their family that they would like researched. The professional service provided by Ancestry and Heirs, therefore, offers a bespoke service that is tailored to meet your specific needs and is not reliant on only offering prescribed packages.
Services on offer include:
- Family history research
- Probate research
- One-to-one tuition in the Kent area
- Talks and presentations
Ancestry and Heirs is owned by me, Nikki Paine. I have the MSc. with Merit, in Genealogical, Palaeographic and Heraldic Studies, form Strathclyde University. The MSc. is a highly recognised qualification in genealogy that shows competence in genealogical research.
Prior to this I worked as a qualified nurse for 19 years and then spent 15 years in Further Education, teaching and managing the health and care curriculum. I also have a BA (Hons) in Post Compulsory Education.
I was adopted as a baby and in adulthood became interested in knowing the family history of my birth parents. This quickly became addictive and a love of genealogical research was born. I have traced my living relatives, and have also found that my paternal ancestors were hard working coal miners for generations and one of them lived at the illustrious address of No. 6 Bog Row! Although no fortunes are hidden in my family tree I was proud to find them all hard working, striving for a better life for their own children, something which I have done for my own two sons.
Living in Ashford Kent, I have good access to The National Archives, The London Metropolitan Archives and the Society of Genealogists.
I am a member of the Register of Qualified Genealogists (RQG) and abide by their code of conduct. Ancestry and Heirs is registered with the Information Commissioners Office for Data Processing under the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and will not share your information with anyone without your permission.
Family is important to all of us but over time families became disconnected from each other. This can be for many reasons. Children with no siblings can become distanced from cousins, some people never marry and some of those who do marry never have children of their own. People may emigrate, losing touch with their English relatives they have left behind. This was the same for our ancestors, who travelled much more than many people think, making it difficult to trace back our family trees.
Ancestry and Heirs are able to help you trace your family ancestry, with a particular expertise in Kent ancestry. Knowing your ancestors does not change your life, you might have noble ancestry or descend from the workers of the land, but knowledge about them gives richness to your family history and provides stories to tell your children and grandchildren.
Ancestry and Heirs endeavour to research your ancestry going back in time from the present day to the early 1800s and many times beyond. Using census records along with birth, baptism, marriage, death and mewspaper records, a picture of your ascendants is slowly built up to provide knowledge of your family tree.
At Ancestry and Heirs the costs are kept simple. Choose from either the Silver Research or the Gold Researchpackages, or should you require bespoke research undertaken, I will then discuss this with you to agree the amount of time to be spent on the research. This is then billed at £35 per hour. A copy of the contract can be seen
This consists of one surname, researched back four generations, to include spouses and children where found. You receive an A4 Family Tree Chart together with a written report which includes transcripts and references to records sourced. The cost of this is £280.
This is the same as the Silver Research but includes two surnames researched back four genertions. The cost of this is £480.
Types of research that people request includes:
- Research of the male line, to include spouses, children and occupations
- Research of 4 generations
- Research to answer specific questions
- Help with finding a specific ancestor
It is important to stress that the costs are for the time spent in undertaking the research. The findings are then presented in a written report and examples of these can be seen below.
I am happy to undertake probate research work for solicitors. This can include:
- Tracing missing heirs who have been named in a Will
- Establishing the family connection for possible heirs
- Providing proof of relationships
- Establishing heirs in the case of intestacy
- With a degree in Education and many years experience of teaching I am a competent and professional presenter
- I am happy to come and give talks to groups who are interested in genealogy
- These talks can be an introduction to genealogy or be made bespoke for your specific requirements
- It can cost a lot of money to pay a researcher to carry out research for you. I am happy to provide a two hour introductory session to finding your roots for the cost of £75
- Please contact me for more details
- Area covered for this service is Kent
Ancestry and Heirs would like to thank Ian for giving permission to publish his report on this website.
Please click on the case studies below to view the full report.
Terms and Conditions
When you decide to appoint Ancestry and Heirs as your professional genealogical service:
- I will discuss the research brief in detail with you, the client
- You, the client, will be expected to ensure I am in possession of all relevant information you have about your family history
- Once the research brief is agreed you will receive this in writing
- A timescale will be agreed between both parties and put in writing to you
- If certificates need to be purchased, your agreement will be sought and you will be charged the current fee of the General Registry Office, currently £9.25. This charge will be added to the final bill
- If it becomes apparent that a line within the family tree cannot be traced back any further, e.g. John Brown b. abt. 1880 in London, you will be notified and can either just have the research carried out so far and a partial rebate or have another line within the family researched
- Current research cost is £35 per hour (travel time is charged at £25 per hour and includes fuel, parking and photography licences where appropriate.)
- Once a time package is agreed e.g. 20 hours of research, payment is for half the fee in advance and the rest on completion
- There will be a seven day cooling off period for your peace of mind in which, should you decide not to proceed, you will receive a full refund of your deposit
- A timescale of 6 – 10 weeks should be allowed for your report depending on the size and complexity of your research
- Travel to London Archives charged at British Rail High Speed return fare. This would be discussed with you prior to the undertaking of the journey.
- You can expect to receive a written report that gives transcriptions of any records searched, points that can be taken from the records and suggestions for further research
- A copy of the contract can be viewed on the website
- I agree to abide by the code of conduct of the Association of Professional Genealogists
- I agree to maintain full confidentiality of your family records and any certificates purchased will be given to you and no record of them will be kept by Ancestry and Heirs
- I am registered with the Information Commissioners Office and all research is kept on a password protected computer
- The copyright of the document will be with Ancestry and Heirs but I am happy for you to publish your report online, or share it with other members of the family, so long as Ancestry and Heirs is accredited
Ancestry and Heirs | Mobile 07984 000669
Copyright 2014 Ancestry and Heirs
Website created by Lambda-Pi Bespoke Software